Friday, February 10, 2006

Dinner Planner

For the past year or so I have gone through a phase of "dropping" friends. This doesn't sound too nice nor provides any endorsement for my reliability as a friend. But first of all, I have to correct myself by mentioning that individuals who have been dropped are more acquintances. Yes, we hung out at one point but they never put any effort in building a relationship based on trust, support and sharing. The type of people I wish to have around me should enrich my life as I enrich theirs. While I never would burn bridges or release an official statement declaring I dropped them (lol, can you imagine?), it is in everyone's best interest to move on.

So, I did. And I've been making totally cool and groovy friends as of late. Two of them will be coming over for dinner tomorrow. As they are vegetarians (Sal you've got some good recipes coming your way) I planned an authentic Mediterranean-style menu to expose them to something a little bit different. Here's the menu:

a) Mixed Green Salad with Pickled Beets
b) Artichoke Salad
c) Bulgour Paste with Fresh Veggies
d) Layered and Slow cooked baby eggplants
e) Popovers ( There's nothing Mediterranean about this! But I love them and haven't had them in six months... I'm the chef, who cares apart from the fact that I will destroyed my own menu)
f) Dessert: I hate making desserts. Although I am capable of creating maniacally labour-intensive works of weirdness... I hate sweet things. Savoury is my thing, so baking is just a chore.)

I'm wondering whether this is enough now... Maybe one more simple savoury item would complete the menu. We'll see!

5 Comments:

At 3:25 a.m., Blogger Sal DeTraglia said...

Nyana:

First, let me say that I'm happy to see my name and link in the second paragraph (talking about "groovy" new friends...even though I know that you weren't referring to me) rather than the first paragraph (talking about the dropees).

Second, let me say that I've never turned down a new recipe; whether carnivore, herbivore or haggisvore.

Third, your menu sounds great. But if you are really, really stressing about food quantity and looking for ideas for something easy, veggie and tummy-filling...here's a suggestion for a Barcelona favorite:

PAN AMB TOMAQUET (Catalan Tomato Bread):

-Crusty bread (good stuff...not Wonder bread)
- Fresh tomato (cut in half)
- Garlic clove (cut in half lengthwise)
- Kosher salt
- Freshly (coarse) ground black pepper
- Extra virgen olive oil

Step one: If using a round loaf, then cut into slices. If using a baguette-type loaf, then cut into sections and then cut in half lengthwise. Toast the bread (or grill it).

Step Two: Give each guest a piece of toasted bread. Also give them a tomato half and garlic half.

Step Three: Each guest prepares his own as follows. First, rub the garlic clove on one side of the bread. Second, rub the tomato half on the bread (squeezing the tomato so that bits of it stick). Then salt, pepper and drizzle with olive oil.

That's it. It's deceptively simple, but really, really good. And it's authentic. Every restaurant in Barcelona serves this. Some people also top theirs with slices of Manchego cheese and/or jamon iberico (i.e., prosciutto). But the "plain" way that I describe above is the most common.

Sal

 
At 7:10 a.m., Blogger christina said...

Another blog that's making me hungry!

Your menu sounds lovely.

About the friends thing: Have you ever read 'Clear your Clutter with Feng Shui' by Karen Kingston (I think)? She has a section about going through the list of people you associate with and determining if they are actually bringing something to your life, or you to theirs. If not, it's OK to 'drop' them. She also says a lot of times both people stay in a friendship 'just because' and BOTH are actually relieved when it fizzles out.

Hope you have fun with the new friends!

 
At 11:59 a.m., Blogger nyana said...

Hey Guys:

Sal:
Thank you so much for that recipe. It's definitely nothing anyone has heard of (that's how the type of dinner party I like). That will be on the menu, for sure. It sounds so good, with garlic and tomato. Keep 'em coming! Thanks again! Oh, and... You have no affinity with the dropees, mister. Good to bump into you!

Christina: Thank you. Now you mention it, this does sound a bit Feng Shui. I agree with the author and will pick up the soon on Monday (bookstore day.) Hope you're having a good weekend!

 
At 11:06 a.m., Blogger Unknown said...

Nyana - so did it turn out great? Do you have photos to make us drool? It sounds yummy, although I totally love desserts even if I have to go out and find it from a store.

 
At 1:45 p.m., Blogger nyana said...

Hey Expat,
It did turn out quite well I have to say. The highlight of the evening was a vegetable tart I made in 5 minutes??!
I will give the recipes along with photos very sooon!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

/body>