Thursday, February 09, 2006

Goldfinger

Long time no communication. These past few days have been quite busy. Between arranging the start of my new job, mental prep, getting used to a new (and better) sleep pattern I feel like smashed potatoes, with butter ;)

Today, I'm giving you a recipe that is one of my all time favourites. Although named "Popovers", it's basically a gourmet version of what British call "Yorkshire Pudding" (with less grease.) They are simply fantastic. Since they're bread-like, you can serve them with some olive-oil and aged balsamic vinegar or simply offer it to complement the main dish. Or just eat them fresh from the oven, they truly hit the right spots of your tongue.
There's a million ways to prepare this recipe, so you should experiment with different spices and tastes to adjust it to your liking. Just follow the basic guideline below:

3 tbs butter
6 eggs
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon thyme leaves (fresh)
1 teaspoon rosemary leaves (fresh)
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/2 teaspoon garlic power or minced fresh garlic
2 1/4 cups milk

Basically mix everything together. The batter will be fairly liquid. Use a muffin tray and fill each slot 2/3 full with the batter. Bake at 400F for 20-25 minutes, until golden! Bon apetit!
Recommendation: Serve this with goat cheese, relish, olives, fresh tomatoes and basil!

Now that I've spent all this time writing this recipe, my stomach is directing me to go into the kitchen. It's time to batter things up!

5 Comments:

At 7:59 a.m., Blogger christina said...

Oh, my kids just love popovers! My mum used to make the best ones to go with roast beef.

 
At 12:46 p.m., Blogger Sal DeTraglia said...

What a coincidence! I just happen to have four thyme bushes and four enormous rosemary bushes in my garden.

And I'm not at all scared of eggs or butter.

Do these popovers go with Branston Pickle? :-O

Ignore that question. Everything goes with Branston Pickle.

Sal

 
At 6:33 p.m., Blogger nyana said...

Christina: These popovers do indeed go well with roast beef. Lately, I've been trying to perfect my roasting skills and coming up with new ways to cook that chunk of meat.

Sal: I'm the designated pickle-ho. To me, everything goes well with pickles, including ice-cream! Enjoy!

 
At 5:31 a.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's a great story. Waiting for more. Focus zx3 body kits best rosacea skin care product Penis nerves numb http://www.domain-register-6.info/Carrentalmcoorlando.html Starting accutane moving companies in arizona

 
At 2:53 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

Enjoyed a lot! fargo signature cd color printer ipaq 6315 battery Antique china cabinet restorers Yiffy shirt Fitness equipment autocad dresses Autoreverse web design Cheapest laptop ram Lamborghini murcielago lamp guard Divorce wyoming cheap tenuate http://www.texas-bow-fishing.info/making-a-homemade-gate-opener.html 1963 chevrolet corvair

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

/body>