Sunday, February 05, 2006

Salad and Technical Difficulties

I wasn't able to log into my blog today, let alone posting an entry. Finally, technical difficulties seem to have subsided and I am back with a new fresh look! (Finally got a profile picture - it's one of my favourite paintings in the world!)

Next item on the agenda is actually a recipe for Mr. Sal DeTraglia - a fellow blogger whose musings amuse me quite a bit. I found out he's quite fond of Thai Salads, so I thought it would be a good idea to share my version of the dish. You can visit his place via the link provided on the right side of the screen or just go to Sal DeTraglia's Virtual Tapas Bar. So, I hope you all like this recipe - it's really refreshing and satisfying.

Thai Mango Salad
  • 1 medium English cucumber, peeled
  • 2 mangoes, peeled and pit removed
  • 1 cup grated carrot
  • 1 red Thai chile - sliced in rings (remove the seeds if you want to taste the salad!)
  • 1 tbsp chopped fresh mint
  • 1 tbsp chopped fresh cilantro
  • 1 tbsp freshly grated ginger
  • 2 tbsp rice wine vinegar
  • 1 tsp fish sauce (did you know that fish sauce is just anchovy extract?)
  • large pinch of sugar
  • 2 tbsp black sesame seeds, for garnish (you can toast some sesame seeds too)
  • Optional: 1/2 tbs of crushed corriander + 1/2 tbs of crushed pink peppercorns
This a basic guideline I use for my Thai salads. You can add/remove or adjust amounts. I find the cucumber works really well in here - but it has to be English cucumbers. In North America, there is another type of cucumber, called "Field Cucumbers." (What's the cucumber situation in the rest of the world?) The texture for that is a bit more waxy and tasteless. I stay away from it. You can also add some mixed greens or Thai Basil in here. Experimenting is always fun! Bon apetit!

6 Comments:

At 7:45 a.m., Blogger s. lin said...

Thanks for stopping by my page and leaving such a kind comment! I really appreciate it!

 
At 9:42 a.m., Blogger Sal DeTraglia said...

Hey Nyana:

Thanks for the link, the plug and the recipe. Many of us had Blogger problems yesterday.

I am definitely going to try this recipe of yours. I absolutely love Thai salads (and Thai anything, for that matter). Thai salads are the precisely the reason why I planted four little mint plants three years ago. They've now overtaken half my garden; but I generally have no trouble finding uses for those pretty little leaves.


I look forward to checking your blog each day.

Sal

 
At 11:21 a.m., Blogger christina said...

Great recipe, Nyana! I'd try it today, but this is Germany and all the stores are closed. :-( Maybe tomorrow.

 
At 12:59 p.m., Blogger nyana said...

Hello Everyone! Thanks for stopping by!

Soozie: Your pictures are quite impressive. I'll place a link for your site very soon!

Sal: Thai food rocks! I actually had 3 different types of Basil this summer. Herbs in your backyard is a total convenience! I'll be sure to post more Thai food recipes for you in the coming days.

Christina: I'm currently on the phone with Angela Merkel to solve your issue. If she doesn't back down, I'll have her send the ingredients to your address tomorrow morning. :)

 
At 1:52 p.m., Blogger Unknown said...

Yum! I'm thinking I'll try this one soon too. :)

 
At 2:23 p.m., Blogger nyana said...

Hey Expat! This salad is a nice one. You can take it to work for lunch!
An alternative would be wrapping the salad in rice paper (although that's a bit of work.) I'm so glad you like the recipe. Let me know what you think.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

/body>